Lance J. Nelson
- Commercial Litigation
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
Lance works with individuals and companies in a variety of litigation-related areas. With regard to his individual clients, Lance counsels them with regard to divorce, support, custody, contract issues, business disputes, pre- and post- nuptial agreements and adoption. Lance assists his business clients in navigating a variety of issues including contract disputes, construction issues, corporate control issues and other aspects of day-to-day business disputes.
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Lance worked in a small trial firm in Wilmington Delaware. Since joining MacElree Harvey in 1992, Lance was elected to be a shareholder in 1998 and chosen to serve on the Executive Commitee, and ultimately, as the Managing Partner from 2001 to 2011.
- Successfully represented in a non-jury trial a non-profit organization to resolve certain corporate governance issues that were raised by a dissident group of members.
- Counseled a father with a significant interest in a family-owned business. Worked with client and client’s spouse’s counsel to resolve issues related to the value of the family-owned business, the division of the marital property, an equally shared custody arrangement and ongoing support obligations without resorting to any court intervention.
- Worked with a mother whose husband owned a substantial business. Through many court hearings in the litigation process, successfully resolved for this mother all of the issues related to the value of the husband’s business, a custody schedule, appropriate support payments and the division of the marital property.
- Counseled children who own significant portions of multigeneration family-owned business through the prenuptial process. Helped young man navigate an already stressful pre-wedding situation and address the consequences of his ownership in a multi-million dollar family business without injecting more stress with his fiance.
- Represented a professional service firm through the arbitration process when a former owner left taking many clients with him. Through the arbitration, successfully secured for the majority owner enforcement of certain financial and other obligations of the departing shareholder.
- After a multi-day non-jury trial, successfully secured a substantial judgment for a custom builder that included not only sums that were due under the contract, but lost profits.
- Chester County Bar Association, President 2011
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Task Force on Balance and Quality of Life (1999 – 2001)
- Delaware State Bar Association
- American Inns of Court (John E. Stively Inn)
- Legal Aid of Chester County, Board Member
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board Hearing Committee (2001-2008)
- West Chester University – Presidential Scholarship Steering Committee, Chairman 2001 – 2002
- West Chester Business Improvement District, Chairman 2004 – 2005
- West Chester Downtown Foundation, Chairman 2009 – 2010
- Basketball Coach – St. Agnes CYO and West Chester Lightening Leagues
- West Chester Public Library, Board Member 2011
Lance is a frequent lecturer on litigation-related topics. He has presented to various state and local organizations including the Chester County Bar Association, the Institute of Management Accountants, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants.Download Attorney Bio
- Villanova University School of Law
Order of the Coif
- Boston College
Economics and Political Science
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- 2007, 2010-2012
- The Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce (2009)