Caroline G. Donato Associate
“In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.” – Albert Einstein
Caroline focuses her practice on federal and state criminal defense and related civil and administrative matters at both the trial and appellate level. Whether as part of a team or as lead counsel, Caroline brings energetic dedication to providing effective, results-oriented representation for each client.
Before joining MacElree Harvey, Caroline clerked for a criminal defense practice in Wilmington, Delaware. She was also a law clerk for the Office of the Federal Public Defender for the District of Delaware, a certified legal intern for the Chester County District Attorney’s Office, a News Department Intern for CBS Philadelphia, a legal assistant to several criminal defense attorneys throughout Pennsylvania, and a Public Policy Intern at the University of Pittsburgh Institute of Politics.
During law school, Caroline served as the President of the Women’s Law Caucus, the Treasurer of the Student Bar Association, and was a member and competed nationally on behalf of the Trial Advocacy, Moot Court, and International Moot Court Honor Societies, as well as the Alternative Dispute Resolution Society. Caroline was also a member of and competed locally in the American Association of Justice Society. Caroline participated in and completed Widener Law’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Program.
Throughout her legal education, Caroline was the recipient of the 2014 Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association James J. Manderino Award for Trial Advocacy, the 2013-2014 Outstanding Service Award, and the 2013 Certificate of Achievement in White Collar Crime. She received Best Oral Advocate awards in local and national Moot Court Competitions, was part of the First Place Defense Team as a finalist in the 51st Annual Academy Interscholastic Mock Trial Competition, and won Best Overall Team in an American Association of Justice Competition.
Prior to law school, Caroline studied Politics and Philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh. She was a member of the University of Pittsburgh Women’s Lacrosse Team and captain during the 2010-2011 season. As a Public Policy Intern for the University of Pittsburgh Institute of Politics, Caroline focused her research on Marcellus Shale and was published in the Institute of Politics Report, Issue 45.
To learn more about Caroline’s practice and recent cases, please visit www.peterkratsacriminaldefense.com.
- Dismissal of PWID felony charges
- Client acquitted by jury of rape and related charges after a week-long jury trial
- Proper and timely responses to various federal civil and administrative subpoenas for document production
- Appeals before the Commonwealth Court for CYF Indicated and Founded
- Reports of child abuse
- DUI appeal before the Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Success in Sexually Violent Predator sentencing
- Success in PennDOT license suspension appeals
- Success in defending Driving Under Suspension allegations
- PFA defense and successful resolution of related Indirect Criminal Contempt
- Successful suppression of statement and related search following seizure of drug paraphernalia
- Dismissal of theft allegations
- Successful resolution of DUI charges and related unlawful searches
- Favorable dispositions for clients accused of sex offenses and/or violent offenses
- Favorable dispositions for clients charged with summary criminal and traffic offenses
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (PACDL), Eastern District
- Member (2014-present)
- New Lawyers Committee (2016-present), Chair (2018-present)
- CLE Committee (2017-present)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2014-present)
- Chester County Bar Association (2014-present)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (2014-present)
- American Bar Association (2014-present)
- Chester County Chamber of Business and Industry, Women Influencing Business Committee (2014-present)
- DUI Investigation: What to Expect if You are Pulled Over
- 23 Attorneys Named Main Line Today’s Top Lawyers 2018
- Sexual Harassment or Sexual Assault? Terminology Matters
- To Trust The Jury Is To Trust The Process
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys named 2016 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today Magazine
- Guilty: A Verdict of Fact or lnjustice?