Leo M. Gibbons Partner
Leo M. Gibbons is a partner in MacElree Harvey’s Banking and Finance practice. Leo represents financial institutions, businesses, individuals and owners of commercial real estate in complex business and contractual disputes, loan and leasing matters, and post-judgment collection and enforcement, including sheriff’s sales. He also represents these clients and other creditors in workouts and bankruptcy proceedings. Leo enjoys working with business owners and individuals to solve their legal problems. He has guided numerous clients in achieving practical solutions of their problems and has successfully represented many clients before both federal and state courts.
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Leo served as a judicial clerk for two judges: the first a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Charles R. Alexander of the Court of Common Pleas of Clarion County, Pennsylvania and the second as chief judicial clerk for the Honorable James R. Cavanaugh of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. These responsibilities provided Leo with experience and insight into the judicial decision-making process, which has helped him to better serve his clients.
- Represented landlord in a case where the tenant defaulted on a commercial lease. Recovered possession of the leased property for the landlord and a substantial portion of the unpaid back rent.
- Defended client sued as a guarantor of a business loan by filing a petition to strike and/or open the judgment. Matter resolved after commencement of litigation at a substantial discount of the amount owed on the guaranty.
- Debt workout/restructuring for a client in the construction industry who defaulted on obligations to lenders and suppliers due to the slumping real estate market. Assisted the client in re-working certain loans and obligations and delaying others so that he could remain in business.
- Defaulting borrower filed bankruptcy on the eve of the execution on borrower’s real estate by the client. Obtained retroactive relief from the automatic stay on client’s behalf to allow the execution to proceed.
- Represented a client in an investigation and litigation proceeding involving embezzlement and fraud by company employees. Successfully pursued former employees and obtained substantial recovery of stolen funds.
- Client was sued by a bankruptcy trustee for payments made to it on the eve of the debtor’s bankruptcy. Resolved the matter with no payment to the bankruptcy trustee based on value given by client and the monies received by client were in the ordinary course of business.
- Chester County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Business Networking International
- Chester County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Insolvency Section Chair
- Westtown-Goshen Rotary Club, President 2010-2011
Previous Community Involvement
- West Chester Area Day Care Center, Past President
- Brandywine Battlefield Park Associates, Board Member
- MacElree Harvey, Ltd. Successfully Represents PA Keg Supplier in an Injunction Action Brought in Federal Court by Chinese Stainless Steel Manufacturer
- Commercial Real Estate Leases: Let the Tenant Beware