Mr. Burke focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and estate and trust litigation. This includes trial and appellate work in federal, state and international courts. He regularly presents matters before alternative dispute resolution panels and frequently lectures on trial tactics, practice, and procedure. He has appeared before the United States Court of Appeals in both the Third and Sixth Circuits.
Mr. Burke advises clients in the areas of:
• Commercial and corporate litigation
• Trust, Estate and Orphans’ Court litigation
• Resolution of partnership and shareholder disputes
• Intellectual property disputes
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Bob was a partner at Blank Rome, a large law firm in Philadelphia, where he worked for fourteen years. Before that, he was associated with a large firm in Northern New Jersey for five years. Following law school, Bob clerked for a Federal District Court Judge in the District of New Jersey.
- Successful resolution of Orphans’ Court dispute over control of charitable organization.
- Obtained verdict successfully overturning last will and testament arising out of undue influence.
- Obtained injunctive relief to protect client from theft of valuable trade secrets.
- Obtained $13.5 million verdict for estate of child killed in fire caused by defective product.
- Representation of foreign government regarding protection of assets in United States and over 30 foreign jurisdictions.
- Successful resolution of international dispute relating to distribution of life insurance proceeds in excess of $10 million.
- Represented major technology firm in the resolution of contentious shareholder litigation.
- Obtained a verdict in a bench trial for clients in a veil-piercing case. Plaintiff unsuccessfully sought to impose a $7 million judgment on personal assets of business owners.
- November 2018: What to Do and Not to Do as you Enter a Business Dispute
- April 2018: Technology in the Courtroom
- November 2017: Use of Jury Consultants in Trials Involving Complex Commercial Disputes
- Nov. 2015: How to Give Compelling Opening Statements
- Oct. 2014: Estate Litigation Practice and Procedures
- Jan. 2014: Effective Litigation Techniques
- Oct. 2013: Non-Competition Agreements
- Oct. 2013: Litigating Commercial Contracts
- May 2012: Electronic Discovery in Litigation
- Oct. 2011: Protecting Your Business From Litigation
- June 2011: Wage and Hour Issues for Businesses
- May 2010: Medicare Secondary Reporting and DPW Liens
- April 2010: Preparing Written Discovery Responses and Objections
- July 2009: Deposition Strategy: Practice and Procedure
- Jan. 2009: Benefits and Pitfalls of Arbitration
- Jan. 2008: Conducting Discovery in Foreign Countries
- Dec. 2007: Good Deals Gone Bad – A Litigator’s Hindsight is Always 20/20
- Dec. 2006: Litigators’ Perspective on Corporate Transaction Documents
- Chester County Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2019-Present
- Chester County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2015-2018
- Stively American Inn of Court, President, 2014-Present
- Chester County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bow Tree Civic Association, Board Member
- West Chester Running Club
- Race Director for a community 10K and 5K road race
- Business Litigation in a COVID-19 World
- Attorney Bob Burke Argued Before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- 11 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 26 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named 2019 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today
- Intermingling of Funds: Part 2 in The Proper Use of Legal Business Entities series
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to 2019 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
- The Proper Use of Legal Business Entities: How to Protect Your Personal Assets
- The Payment of Attorneys Fees in Trust and Estate Litigation
- 23 Attorneys Named Main Line Today’s Top Lawyers 2018
- Will Contests in Pennsylvania
- CCBA Member Profile: Attorney Robert A. Burke
- Thirteen MacElree Harvey Attorneys Recognized in 2017 Edition of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Commercial Contracts: Pitfalls of Boilerplate Clauses
- 10 Tips From A Litigation Trial Attorney: How To Prepare For A Business Dispute
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys named 2016 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today Magazine
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to 2016 PA Super Lawyers List
- Guardianships Under Pennsylvania Law
- Common Questions Regarding Will Contests – How to Cope With Legal Challenges to a Last Will
- The Top 10 Mistakes with Non-Competition Agreements
- The Most Effective Way to Approach a Lawsuit
- What is a Common Mistake Clients Make?
- What is the Best Part of Being a Lawyer
- What I Like Best About Practicing at MacElree Harvey
- Preparation is Key
- Charity Work
- Most Memorable Case
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 1: Litigating in Chester County
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 2: Trial Prep and Present During COVID
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 3: Business Litigation During COVID
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 4: Trial Presentation in Federal Court
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 5: Personal Assets
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 6: Noncompete
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 7: Will Contest
- Bob Burke’s Web Series on Litigation and Trial Tactics Ep 8: Boiler Plate Language
I have known Mr. Burke for several years and have sought counsel from him many times. He is an excellent legal advisor and has provided us with great service on multiple occasions on both a personal and professional level. I would highly recommend Mr. Burke and his associated law firm to any one person or company who is looking for a dependable and trustworthy source for legal matters. Thank you for this opportunity to share feedback.
Judy Read more
- Seton Hall University School of Law, 1990 (J.D.)
- Villanova University, 1987 (B.A.)
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third and Sixth Circuits