Robert A. Burke Partner
Mr. Burke is an active trial attorney who has tried cases to verdict in six different jurisdictions. His practice is focused on complex commercial and estate and trust litigation. This includes trial and appellate work in federal, state and international courts. He regularly presents matters before alternative dispute resolution panels and frequently lectures on trial tactics, practice and procedure. He has appeared before the United States Court of Appeals in both the Third and Sixth Circuits.
Mr. Burke advises clients in the areas of:
• Commercial and corporate litigation
• Trust, Estate and Orphans’ Court litigation
• Resolution of partnership and shareholder disputes
• Intellectual property disputes
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Bob was a partner at Blank Rome, a large law firm in Philadelphia, where he worked for fourteen years. Before that, he was associated with a large firm in Northern New Jersey for five years. Following law school, Bob clerked for a Federal District Court Judge in the District of New Jersey.
- Successful resolution of Orphans’ Court dispute over control of charitable organization.
- Obtained verdict successfully overturning last will and testament arising out of undue influence.
- Obtained injunctive relief to protect client from theft of valuable trade secrets.
- Obtained $13.5 million verdict for estate of child killed in fire caused by defective product.
- Representation of foreign government regarding protection of assets in United States and over 30 foreign jurisdictions.
- Successful resolution of international dispute relating to distribution of life insurance proceeds in excess of $10 million.
- Represented major technology firm in the resolution of contentious shareholder litigation.
- Nov. 2015: How to Give Compelling Opening Statements
- Oct. 2014: Estate Litigation Practice and Procedures
- Jan. 2014: Effective Litigation Techniques
- Oct. 2013: Non-Competition Agreements
- Oct. 2013: Litigating Commercial Contracts
- May 2012: Electronic Discovery in Litigation
- Oct. 2011: Protecting Your Business From Litigation
- June 2011: Wage and Hour Issues for Businesses
- May 2010: Medicare Secondary Reporting and DPW Liens
- April 2010: Preparing Written Discovery Responses and Objections
- July 2009: Deposition Strategy: Practice and Procedure
- Jan. 2009: Benefits and Pitfalls of Arbitration
- Jan. 2008: Conducting Discovery in Foreign Countries
- Dec. 2007: Good Deals Gone Bad – A Litigator’s Hindsight is Always 20/20
- Dec. 2006: Litigators’ Perspective on Corporate Transaction Documents
- Chester County Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2015-Present
- Stively American Inn of Court, President, 2014-Present
- Chester County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Bow Tree Civic Association, Board Member
- West Chester Running Club
- Race Director for a community 10K and 5K road race to raise funds for police and fire departments
- Commercial Contracts: Pitfalls of Boilerplate Clauses
- 10 Tips From A Litigation Trial Attorney: How To Prepare For A Business Dispute
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to 2016 PA Super Lawyers List
- Guardianships Under Pennsylvania Law
- Common Questions Regarding Will Contests – How to Cope With Legal Challenges to a Last Will
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D.
- Villanova University, B.A.
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third and Sixth Circuits