Marie I. Crossley Partner - Family Law
(O) (302) 504-7286
“Marie is an honest and trustworthy lawyer. She is meticulous and thorough when going through case material. Marie fights to get what is in the best interest of her client. Her knowledge of the legal system and laws is unmatched. Marie is genuinely caring and knows how to handle the delicate situations that arise in family court matters. I highly recommend Marie and intend on utilizing her for my legal needs going forward.” – Client Review from Avvo
Marie I. Crossley has practiced exclusively in the Delaware Family Law arena for over 16 years. She handles a wide variety of Divorce, Custody, Child Support, Alimony and other Family Law matters ranging from the mediation of small disputes to complex Divorce, Custody and Support litigation.
Marie has recently added Mediation to her practice to accommodate clients who are looking for an alternative to the adversarial nature of traditional Divorce, Custody and Support litigation. Marie works out of the Centreville, Delaware office at MacElree Harvey, Ltd.
Marie graduated from Villanova University School of Law in 2001. She clerked for the Honorable Alison Whitmer Tumas and the Honorable William L. Chapman of the Delaware Family Court until entering private practice in 2002. Marie spent ten years as a Family Law Attorney, and then Partner, of a Wilmington Delaware Law Firm until joining the Family Law Group at MacElree Harvey, Ltd.
Marie prefers to be directly involved in every aspect of her client’s matter and feels that communication is the foundation of any successful attorney-client relationship. She works with each client directly providing legal advice and guidance tailored to their specific case.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020-2021, Family Law
- Successfully assisted a Wife in obtaining a lifetime alimony award against a Husband who refused to support even despite a previous Court Order.
- Assisted a client in obtaining an Order, and then enforcing the Order, to force the sale of the former marital residence, despite the spouse’s absolute refusal to cooperate.
- Defended a Mother and two young daughters in a Visitation Petition filed by a Father who is an admitted drug addict. After the trial, the Court Ordered Father to submit to drug-testing and limited Father’s contact to a Visitation Center until Father produces a clean drug screen.
- Assisted a Father in mediating an agreement for shared residential placement of his two-year-old son. The case involved the issue of breastfeeding and was focused on how to accommodate the feeding schedule without infringing on Father’s relationship with the child.
- Successfully obtained an Order for School Enrollment in an Out-of-State school district for a Parent who relocated from the State of Delaware.
- Assisted a Bride-to-be in the drafting and negotiating of a Prenuptial Agreement to protect her significant pre-marital assets.
- Delaware State Bar Association:
- Family Law Section
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, Vice-Chair
- Women and the Law Section
- Melson-Arsht Inn of Courts
- Delaware Violence Advocacy Project
- Delaware Volunteer Legal Services
- Office of the Child Advocate
- Delaware State Bar Association, Pro Bono Award Recipient
- Rotary Club of Wilmington, DE
- 10 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Recognized As Best Lawyers for 2022
- 11 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America© 2021
- 6 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named to The Best Lawyers in America© 2020
- MacElree Harvey Announces Newest Shareholder: Marie I. Crossley
- How Much Will My Divorce Cost?
- How Will Child Support Be Determined?
- Marie I. Crossley to Present CLE for the Delaware State Bar Association
- MacElree Harvey Ltd Appointed to the Board of the Centreville Civic Association
- MacElree Harvey Wins Supreme Court Appeal of Delaware Marital Property Case
- Marie Crossley and Patrick Boyer to Present CLE Seminar: Identifying and Handling Conflict Issues in Family Law Matters
- The Plus Side of Pre-Nups
- MacElree Harvey Family Law Attorneys to Present at Continuing Legal Education Seminar on Family Law Topics on January 29, 2016.
- What is expected of a client?
- Why is a Family Law attorney important?
- How does social media affect my case?
- How is alimony determined in Delaware?
- The Plus Side of Prenups
- Can children decide where to live in a custody action?
- How much does a divorce cost?
- What is Mediation?
- Mistake That Attorneys Make
- Why I Practice Law
- Problems I Solve For Clients
Family Law – Custody
Marie has been very involved in helping me get the primary residence of my young son. Due to a distance situation with his father and the disagreement on what state my son would attend school in, I sought out Marie's counsel. From the beginning, she kept me up to date, including her staff, and explained how these cases work. I felt more than confident with Marie as my attorney when it was time to appear before the judge. She was able to prove to the court that my son's father and his witness were not being truthful in specific time frames, which I believe were crucial in winning the case. Marie maintained a calm, cool and collective stance when representing me and there was a very large visible difference if comparing attorneys. Ultimately I won and did receive primary residence of my son, and I couldn't be happier. I received an email from Marie's office and she also texted me with the good news. I would recommend Marie to anyone of my friends or family seeking this type of counsel.
Megan Read more
Family Law – Divorce and Custody
As an older male going through divorce and custody, I was very tentative/skeptical about attorneys. I searched and interviewed. If you're looking for the best, Marie is it. Makes you feel important and is attentive to your wishes. She tells it like it's is. She's a fighter when needed but her demeanor otherwise is perfect. Loved her. Would recommend her strongly. Tough to find the good ones.
Bob W. Read more
Family Law – Child Custody Agreement Modification
I hired Marie Crossley to represent me during a Court hearing that I had scheduled where I was requesting to modify my Child Custody agreement and relocation to another state where I could have more support to raise my two sons. Relocation cases are never easy but Marie did a very good job at showing the court that it was in the best interest of my children to relocate to live with my fiancé and I and his family since we had no support system here in DE and their father did not have a sufficient level of involvement in the boys lives. Many factors went into the outcome of our case but ultimately the judge ruled to allow the boys and I to move and put a visitation schedule in place that would allow their dad to still have frequent and meaningful visits with the children. I am very grateful for all the support and guidance Marie provided me during this case and I know the positive outcome we had will have a very positive impact on my children's lives for years to come.
Anonymous Read more
- Villanova University School of Law, Class of 2001
- Law Clerk to the Honorable William L. Chapman and the Honorable Allison Whitmer Tumas, Delaware Family Court
- Washington & Jefferson College, Class of 1998