Jeffrey P. Burke Associate - Employment Law
(O) (610) 840-0229
Jeffrey P. Burke is an associate attorney working in MacElree Harvey’s Employment and Litigation practice groups. Jeff counsels businesses and individuals on employment agreements, equal employment policies, non-competition agreements, independent contracting issues, and other employment-related matters. Jeff also represents businesses and individuals in employment discrimination litigation, such as Americans with Disability Act claims, Age Discrimination in Employment Act claims, discrimination based upon sex, race or religion, sexual harassment, and hostile work environment. As an experienced litigator, Jeff also frequently handles contract, real estate leasing, construction and shareholder disputes, to name a few.
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Jeff worked for six years at an insurance defense litigation firm where he represented clients across multiple disciplines in State and Federal Court, including employment discrimination, personal injury, civil rights, product liability, and construction litigation. Before that, Jeff was an associate with a small-size, general practice law firm focusing on criminal defense as well as civil and domestic litigation.
Jeff is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he was a recipient of the Class of 2008 Community Service Award. Prior to attending law school, he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance from The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, with minors in Economics and Political Science.
- Obtained favorable, confidential settlements in cases of alleged sex discrimination for multiple Pennsylvania employers, ranging from complex, multi-entity enterprises down to a small family-owned store
- Obtained favorable, confidential settlement through Mediation in favor of Pennsylvania business in a case seeking wages under Pennsylvania Wage Payment and Collection law and alleging discrimination under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Obtained favorable, confidential settlement through Mediation in favor of Pennsylvania employer in case of alleged national origin discrimination
- Successfully obtained transfers of venue from Philadelphia County to favorable outlying Pennsylvania counties in multiple personal injury lawsuits brought against Fortune 500 Company
- Defended and successfully resolved numerous personal injury and property damage claims brought against Pennsylvania businesses and individuals in the areas of premises liability, motor vehicle liability and construction
- Obtained Summary Judgment before United States District Court in favor of multiple police officer defendants and City alleged to have committed Constitutional rights violations against detainee
- Litigated numerous cases to judgment involving recovery of possession of real property and unpaid rent
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissal of numerous Pennsylvania criminal charges, from First Degree Felonies to Summary offenses
- Chester County Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section
- Chester County Bar Association, Employment Law Section
- Chester County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Stively Inn of Court
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- West Chester Downtown Foundation, Board Member
- Employment Law Update June 2021
- Employment Law Update May 2021
- Employment Law Update March 2021
- When (and how) can a business use a “coronavirus scanner” or other instant coronavirus tests for its employees?
- Employment Law Update January 2021
- Can Pennsylvania Employers Mandate that Employees take a COVID-19 Vaccine?
- Employment Law Update November, 2020
- Employment Law Update for October, 2020
- Seeing through the Haze: 3 Things to Remember About Employee Marijuana Use in Pennsylvania
- Unemployment Compensation for Pennsylvania Business Owners: The Self-Employment Exception, The CARES Act and Beyond
- Responding to Employee Accommodation Requests under the ADA: Navigating the Interactive Process
- Discovery of Social Media in Pennsylvania: Be Careful What You Post Online
- Department of Labor Announces New Standards Affecting Overtime Pay for Salaried Employees
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Juris Doctor
- The Pennsylvania State University, Finance
- A recipient of the Class of 2008 Community Service Award