Michael G. Louis Partner
Michael Louis chairs the firm’s Banking and Finance Litigation Practice.
Michael’s personal practice supports the needs of businesses and homeowners in a changing economic environment. He has extensive experience in mortgage foreclosures, collections and loan workouts, general counsel work and real estate litigation. Michael has been with MacElree Harvey, Ltd. since 1980.
Michael has received an “AV Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest level of professional excellence and ethical standards an attorney can receive from the national attorney peer review rating service. Michael has also been consistently named as one of Main Line Today’s “Top Lawyers” since 2009 and selected to Suburban Life’s “Awesome Attorneys” from 2012 through 2015.
- Provided local counsel for a bank in litigation with a borrower in which the bank sued the borrower for $60 million and the borrower filed a separate action against the bank, alleging damages in excess of $60 million.
- Represented landlord whose tenant defaulted on a commercial lease. Recovered possession of the leased property for landlord and all of the unpaid back rent plus the landlord’s attorneys’ fees.
- Defended client sued as a guarantor of a business loan by filing a petition to strike and/or open the judgment.
- Debt workout/restructuring for client in restaurant business that defaulted on obligations to lender due to the slumping economy. Assisted the client in re-working certain loans and obligations and delaying others without losing business.
- Obtained retroactive relief from automatic stay on client’s behalf after defaulting borrower filed bankruptcy on eve of execution on debtor’s real estate.
- Represented client in investigation and litigation involving embezzlement and fraud by company employees. Successfully pursued former employees and obtained partial recovery of stolen funds.
- Represented client sued by bankruptcy trustee for payments made to it on the eve of debtor’s bankruptcy. Resolved the matter with no payment to the bankruptcy trustee.
- Chester County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Business Networking International (BNI)
- Interfaith Housing Assistance Corporation, Director Emeritus
- West Chester Lions Club, President
- Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Western Chester County Chamber of Commerce
Previous Community Invovement
- West Side Little League, Secretary and Coach
- “Community Hero Torchbearer,” carried the Olympic torch through West Chester, Pennsylvania on its way to the Olympic Games in Atlanta
- “Short Sales, Beyond the Sale and Release of Debt”, Suburban West REALTORS® Association, 2015
- What To Do If Your Property Was Just Sold At Tax Sale
- Confessions of Judgment: What Are They and Why Should You Care
- 23 Attorneys Named Main Line Today’s Top Lawyers 2018
- Michael G. Louis to Present at Greater West Chester Chamber’s Non-Profit Discussion
- MacElree Harvey’s Michael Louis Elected President of West Chester Lions Club
- Preserving Mechanics’ Lien Rights: What You Need to Know
- Your Largest Customer Files Bankruptcy – What Do You Do Next? Committee Formation
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys named 2016 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today Magazine
- Upcoming Changes to Pennsylvania’s Mechanics’ Lien Law
- It is Never Too Late to Save Your Home from Foreclosure