Michael G. Louis Partner - Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Litigation
(O) (610) 840-0228
(M) (610) 836-2477
Michael Louis is Chair of MacElree Harvey’s Banking and Finance Litigation Practice.
Michael’s personal practice supports the needs of businesses and homeowners in a changing economic environment. He has extensive experience defending clients in mortgage foreclosures, collections and loan workouts, general counsel work and real estate litigation, including landlord-tenant litigation. In addition to practicing civil litigation as referenced above, Michael does bankruptcy for debtors and creditors.
Michael has been with MacElree Harvey, Ltd. since 1980. He has received an “AV Preeminent” rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest level of professional excellence and ethical standards an attorney can receive from the national attorney peer review rating service. Michael has also been consistently named as one of Main Line Today’s “Top Lawyers” since 2009 and selected to Suburban Life’s “Awesome Attorneys” from 2012 through 2015. He has the highest rating possible on Avvo, which is derived from client reviews.
Actively involved in the community, Michael has been on the Board of the Greater West Chester Camber of Commerce for many years and previously chaired the Professional Development Committee which runs the programs presented by the Chamber. He served as president of the Interfaith Housing Assistance Corporation of Chester County from 1993 through 2016 and holds the title Director Emeritus. Interfaith Housing is a non-profit corporation that has as its purpose the prevention and/or the end of homelessness among working single parents with dependent children in Chester County. It provides financial assistance, social service and mentoring support, enabling families to remain in clean, safe, affordable housing while they work towards independence. He is also part of the West Chester Lions Club as Past President and current Board Member.
Michael has received the Melvin Jones Fellow Award, the highest recognition from the Lions Clubs International Foundation being given to members who have rendered outstanding community services. Michael’s Fellowship highlights his contributions to the Chester County community. Michael recently joined the West Chester Rotary Club and is enjoying being involved in all of their service activities.
Today both Michael and his wife live in East Bradford Township.
- Provided local counsel for a bank in litigation with a borrower in which the bank sued the borrower for $60 million and the borrower filed a separate action against the bank, alleging damages in excess of $60 million.
- Represented a landlord whose tenant defaulted on a commercial lease. Recovered possession of the leased property for the landlord and all of the unpaid back rent plus the landlord’s attorneys’ fees.
- Defended a client sued as a guarantor of a business loan by filing a petition to strike and/or open the judgment.
- Debt workout/restructuring for a client in the restaurant business that defaulted on obligations to lender due to the slumping economy. Assisted the client in re-working certain loans and obligations and delaying others without losing business.
- Obtained retroactive relief from automatic stay on client’s behalf after defaulting borrower filed bankruptcy on eve of execution on debtor’s real estate.
- Represented client in investigation and litigation involving embezzlement and fraud by company employees. Successfully pursued former employees and obtained partial recovery of stolen funds.
- Represented a client sued by a bankruptcy trustee for payments made to it on the eve of debtor’s bankruptcy. Resolved the matter with no payment to the bankruptcy trustee.
- Represented a client whose neighbors dogs barked day and night. Obtained a preliminary injunction which was made permanent, keeping dogs from disturbing their use and enjoyment of their property or barking at all between 6 pm to 9 am.
- Chester County Bar Association, Chair of Real Estate Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Interfaith Housing Assistance Corporation, Director Emeritus
- West Chester Lions Club, Past President & Board Member
- Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- West Chester Rotary Club, Board
Previous Community Invovement
- West Side Little League, Secretary and Coach
- “Community Hero Torchbearer,” carried the Olympic torch through West Chester, Pennsylvania on its way to the Olympic Games in Atlanta
- Presenter: “Short Sales, Beyond the Sale and Release of Debt”, Suburban West REALTORS® Association, 2015
- Presenter: “Tax Sales”, Chester County Bar Association, Real Estate Section, 2018
- Panelist: “Legal Issues for Nonprofit Boards”, Greater West Chester Chamber’s Non-Profit Discussion session, 2018
- Presenter: “Real Estate Seller Disclosure Law“, Chester County Bar Association, Real Estate Section, 2022
- 23 Attorneys Named as Main Line Today Top Lawyers 2022
- It Pays To Think Outside The Box – Part 1
- Center For Disease Control Issues Temporary Halt of Residential Evictions To Prevent The Further Spread of COVID-19
- What To Do Now That The Governor’s Moratorium On Residential Mortgage Foreclosures and Landlord Tenant Actions Expired August 31, 2020
- Complete Business Solutions Group, Inc., d/b/a Par Funding
- COVID Relief – Mortgage and Rental Assistance Grant Program
- 26 MacElree Harvey Attorneys Named 2019 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today
- Tenants by the Entirety: An Airtight Defense to a Collection Action
- What To Do When You Are Served With A Complaint
- What To Do If Your Property Was Just Sold At Tax Sale
- Confessions of Judgment: What Are They and Why Should You Care
- 23 Attorneys Named Main Line Today’s Top Lawyers 2018
- Michael G. Louis to Present at Greater West Chester Chamber’s Non-Profit Discussion
- MacElree Harvey’s Michael Louis Elected President of West Chester Lions Club
- Preserving Mechanics’ Lien Rights: What You Need to Know
- Your Largest Customer Files Bankruptcy – What Do You Do Next? Committee Formation
- MacElree Harvey Attorneys named 2016 Top Lawyers by Main Line Today Magazine
- Upcoming Changes to Pennsylvania’s Mechanics’ Lien Law
- It is Never Too Late to Save Your Home from Foreclosure
Highly Professional and Efficient
Banking & Finance
I’ve been working with Michael Louis on several cases that involve our family business. Mr. Louis has taken the time to not only get familiar with our type of business but to also get familiar with us as people. Mr. Louis is prepared when we enter the courtroom, professional as we face the judge, and as excited as we are when we emerge with a verdict in our favor. It was never my goal in life to need a lawyer for anything other than wills and minor business dealings. But that is not how things worked out. Thankfully, I have Michael in my corner and that has been a good thing.
Gwen Read more
Michael Louis is a breath of fresh air. Either he actually takes your call himself, or he calls you back immediately. He is knowledgeable, thorough and responsive. I would highly recommend Michael for any commercial litigation.
Dominic Read more
Banking & Finance Litigation
When my tiny company was sued by a massive global corporation as I was trying to protect my rights under their contract, I have to admit that I was horrified. Although I knew that I had a real case and solid claim against this vendor to my company, I was dwarfed by their juggernaut legal team and seemingly bottomless legal budget. Mr. Louis was referred to me by my local attorney (the suit was in Pennsylvania and I'm in a very small town in Iowa) and within ten minutes of our initial phone conversation, my anxiety of the enormity of this situation began to fade. He carefully listened to my story and asked me very relevant questions and by the end of the conversation was able to show me that not only did I have a solid defense against their claim, but that I also wielded a substantial counterclaim. We immediately began to build our case to defend and counter and after a few months of carefully executing his recommended process, we settled outside of court for a very reasonable amount. Had my company lost the case, we would have been bankrupted. Instead, he and his expert teammates focused on keeping the opposition on their heels. For round after round, my attorney fought an amazing fight, and I was so pleased to see this corporate giant so often on the ropes. His letters were so carefully composed and structured, my confidence increased each time I read them. I shuddered at the prospect of being on the receiving end of them, as a matter of fact! And, the way he asserted our legal dominance kept the diligent pressure on the other team - ultimately bringing forth a very reasonable settlement. Pure professionalism, legal expertise, and brilliant battleground strategy were my allies every step of the way. When I sat in the room with Michael Louis, I was the 800-pound gorilla. The other guys didn't stand a chance, and I know that they now wish they had never brought the suit against me. I never want to be sued again. But, if I am, I would be lucky to have Mr. Louis or an attorney like him on my side.
Luke Read more
Banking & Finance
I've been dealing with Mike for about three years now as a non-profit company tries to take my service dog away from me. As a disabled person on a fixed income, I am the type of person it is very easy for an attorney to shun and overlook but Mike has NEVER treated me with anything but the utmost of respect and kindness. When I don't understand something he takes the time to completely explain it. He has never taken more than a day and a half to get back to me with an answer to a question. I can not believe how blessed I have been to have him as my attorney!
Annmarie Read more
Banking & Finance Litigation
It is a pleasure to write a review on the services MacElree Harvey provided, specifically Mr. Michael Louis and Mr. Patrick Gallo. While my situation would likely be considered a minor case, for me it was very concerning. After contacting Mr. Louis he immediately assisted with a time sensitive court document and addressed my concerns regarding financial liability. After the initial concern was addressed, Mr. Patrick Gallo worked diligently on negotiating a reasonable settlement and provided me with several options. Both Mr. Gallo and Mr. Louis were always available, provided detailed explanations, were extremely professional, and treated my case with the utmost importance. In addition, their rates were very fair as they went “above and beyond” to assist. Thank you both for all your help.
Craig Read more
- Dickinson School of Law
- University of Delaware
English, Political Science
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania