W. Patrick Scott Partner
Pat represents borrowers, lenders and credit providers in matters related to loan and other financing transactions. In addition, Pat works with privately held companies on day-to-day business and legal matters.
Non-profit corporations turn to Pat for advice relating to initial organization, tax exemption and compliance, and all legal matters being considered by the organization.
Pat has extensive experience in tax exempt financing transactions, in particular transactions relating the construction of student housing and other exempt facilities. These representations typically include the representation of the owner in a broad spectrum of important aspects of the project, including the organization’s internal approvals, tax matters, real estate development, real estate acquisition, construction, and financing.
Prior to joining MacElree Harvey, Pat served as a Judicial Clerk for the Superior Court of Pennsylvania and for three years was an Assistant Public Defender with the Chester County Public Defender’s Office.
- Represented a non-profit corporation that support a local state university as the borrower of approximately $57,000,000 in qualified 501(c)(3) bonds, issued for the purpose of constructing student housing facilities for the benefit of university students. Representation included the negotiation of bond, documents, a ground lease and related documents, and a guaranteed investment contract associated with the project. Since 2003, Pat and his team have been engaged as counsel in development and financing transactions affiliated with public universities that collectively exceed $400,000,000.
- Continuous representation of non-profit organizations in the operation of student housing facilities, including compliance with financial reporting, financial covenants, tax law and regulations.
- Represented the manager of a student housing facility in the course of a redemption of approximately $11,000,000 in revenue bonds after an event of default.
- Represented a financial institution in the direct purchase of a $37,500,000 note issued under a master trust indenture for the benefit of a local hospital, in order to finance the hospitals expansion.
- Regularly represents non-profit corporations before local taxing authorities and courts in the prosecution and defense of real estate tax exemptions. Pat routinely conducts analysis for organizations to determine compliance with “institution of purely public charity” requirements under Pennsylvania constitutional and statutory law.
- Represented the issuer of a letter of credit in a $27,000,000 public bond finance for the construction of a local YMCA.
- Represented a bank as senior creditor of a company in the reorganization of the company’s stock ownership and restructuring of the company’s $10,000,000 collective working capital lines of credit and permanent loans.
- Represented a non-profit 501(c)(3) as the borrower and acted as tax counsel in a $3,500,000 tax exempt loan whose purpose was to expand the borrower’s facilities in Chester County.
- Represented two clients in the preparation of requests for proposals for owner’s representatives in the clients’ construction projects, and rendered advice with respect to the selection of qualified applicants and preparation of appropriate agreements.
- Represented a shareholder in the acquisition of stock of a majority shareholder’s interests in a privately held biotech company, and rendered advice on the preparation of agreements relating to the supply of the company’s products to a distributor of pharmacological products.
- Represented a company within the mushroom industry in a joint venture with other companies relating to the production, distribution, and labeling of mushrooms and agricultural products.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Chester County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Kase’s Corner, Inc., Board Member
- Penn State Alumni Association, Member
- University of Pittsburgh Alumni Association, Member
Previous Community Involvement
- West Chester Downtown Foundation, President
- West Chester YMCA, Board of Directors, Executive Committee
- MacElree Harvey Public and Project Finance Attorneys Tour ESU Student Housing Facility
- In 2016, MacElree Harvey business lawyers closed transactions for their clients with a collective value of …